Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Miscommunication

I did have an experience with miscommunication in my summer job as an assistant swim coach a couple of years ago, it was that bad that I remember it. Being an assistant coach you are working under someone else, which means that you do not have enough responsibility as the other person. There was miss communication about days that the head coach was going to be absent from practice and what I was suppose to do. I showed up to coach one day, not knowing that I was going to be the only coach on deck. It make me look like I didn't know what I was doing, because not only was I stressed, and upset, I had to keep a bunch of kids practicing in some type of order by myself. There was another incident in which I did not know that I was suppose to put together the line up for a meet. She had good intentions behind letting me make a line up on my own, so that I could learn, but it would have been more beneficial to everyone at the meet had I known and been helped through my first attempt. These situations could have been prevented if we had made sure both of us knew the days that we were going to miss practice and if we had gone over the specific "jobs" that she wanted me to perform, as her assistant. The one way to prevent any miscommunication would be to discuss all possible mishaps that could occur with every party that is involved. This could only happen in a perfect world, because there is no way that you can know in advance every possible mishap. So, as we go on through life, encountering many issues with miscommunication it is best to remain calm and collected, be kind and just do your best to deal with the situation at hand.

No comments: